Monday, March 21, 2022

A Care Guide for Whoever Inherits My Brother's Soul by Rebekah Parise

 



A care guide for whoever inherits my brother's soul:

1. Sometimes in the dead of night,
You may hear singing in the silence.
The whistling of the trees may become
The voices of a thousand poets.
Listen.

2. You may find yourself taking
walks in the rain. You find solace there,
you find it in a lot of places.
Let the rain soak into your clothes
and don’t worry about getting the mud stains
out of your shoes for once.

3. If you feel that his soul is getting restless,
Pick up a brush and let him paint.
You will find that the soul can see things
The eye often cannot. Let him show you
How hyacinths can bloom in one's bright
Blue eyes, and how the sun setting
Is not the most beautiful image in the world.
You will find beauty where others cannot.

4. If his soul begins to weep, let him mourn.
He may miss the vessel he once knew.
Comfort him for me, assure him,
Let him write poetry again.
He feels so many things,
Now so will you.

5. You may go somewhere new and somehow,
Everything will seem very familiar.
He used to walk those streets, you sit in the
Coffee shops he used to sit in.
You may find yourself ordering a strong tea,
And wondering ‘why does it taste like home?’
It’s not deja vu, it’s nostalgia.

6. Lastly, I need you to promise me
That you will take care of him.
And if you ever see me, and wonder who
The girl is, staring a little too long,
Call me out, allow me to apologize,
And please let me explain that I thought I saw
A glimpse of my brother's ghost in your eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment